|Home||» Products||» Anti Cancer Medicines||» Alphalan Melphalan|
- Brand name: Alphalan
- Active Ingeridents(Generic Name) : Melphalan
- Company Name: Natco
- Package: 25 Tablets
- Strength: 2mg
- Treating symptoms of a certain type of cancer (multiple myeloma). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
- Alphalan (Melphalan ) is an alkylating agent. It works by destroying resting and rapidly dividing tumor cells in certain types of cancer.
Mechanism of action:
Alphalan (Melphalan ) chemically alters through alkylation of the DNA nucleotide guanine, and causes linkages between strands of DNA. This chemical alteration inhibits DNA synthesis and RNA synthesis, functions necessary for cells to survive. These changes cause cytotoxicity in both dividing and non-dividing tumor cells.
Dosage and Administration:
As a tablet by mouth. Tablets come in a 2mg size. Take medication on an empty stomach (1 hour before to 2 hours after meals).
Common side effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting, and oral ulceration. Bone marrow suppression
Less common side effects include:
- Severe allergic reactions , Pulmonary fibrosis (scarring of lung tissue) including fatal outcomes (usually only with prolonged use) , Hair loss, Interstitial pneumonitis, Rash, Itching, Irreversible bone marrow failure due to Alphalan (Melphalan ) not being withdrawn early enough, Cardiac arrest.
Before starting Alphalan (Melphalan ) treatment, make sure you tell your doctor about any other medications you are taking (including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamins, herbal remedies, etc.). Do not take aspirin, or products containing aspirin unless your doctor specifically permits this.
Do not receive any kind of immunization or vaccination without your doctor's approval while taking Alphalan (Melphalan ).
Store: Store Alphalan (Melphalan ) at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and light.