|Home||» Products||» Hepatitis Drugs||» Ribamune Ribavirin|
Ribamune ( Ribavirin)
- Brand name: Ribamune
- Active Ingeridents(Generic Name) : Ribavirin
- Company Name: Cipla
- Package: 14 capsules per strip
- Strength : 200mg
Ribamune ( Ribavirin) is used in combination with other antiviral medications to treat chronic (long-lasting) hepatitis C, a viral infection of the liver. Chronic hepatitis C infection can cause serious liver problems such as scarring (cirrhosis), or liver cancer. Ribamune ( Ribavirin) works by reducing the amount of hepatitis C virus in your body, which may help your liver recover.
Mechanism of action:
Ribamune ( Ribavirin) is readily phosphorylated intracellularly by adenosine kinase to Ribamune ( Ribavirin) mono-, di-, and triphosphate metabolites. Ribamune ( Ribavirin) triphosphate (RTP) is a potent competitive inhibitor of inosine monophosphate (IMP) dehydrogenase, viral RNA polymerase and messenger RNA (mRNA) guanylyltransferase (viral) and can be incorporated into RNA in RNA viral species.. Guanylyltranserase inhibition stops the capping of mRNA. These diverse effects result in a marked reduction of intracellular guanosine triphosphate (GTP) pools and inhibition of viral RNA and protein synthesis. Ribamune ( Ribavirin) is also incorporated into the viral genome causing lethal mutagenesis and a subsequent decrease in specific viral infectivity.
Dosage and Administration:
Use Ribamune ( Ribavirin) as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ribamune ( Ribavirin) comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Ribamune ( Ribavirin) refilled.
- Take Ribamune ( Ribavirin) by mouth with food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ribamune ( Ribavirin) is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take Ribamune ( Ribavirin) on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Ribamune ( Ribavirin)at the same times each day will help you remember to take it.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ribamune ( Ribavirin).
- All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; dry skin; hair loss; joint pain; loss of appetite; mild headache, nausea, or vomiting; mild stomach pain; tiredness; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; weakness or fatigue.
- Before taking Ribamune ( Ribavirin), tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: blood disorders (e.g., sickle cell anemia, low hemoglobin, thalassemia), kidney disease, other liver problems (e.g., autoimmune hepatitis), heart disease, high blood pressure, breathing problems, pancreas problems (e.g., pancreatitis), diabetes.
Store : Store Ribamune ( Ribavirin) between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ribamune ( Ribavirin) out of the reach of children and away from pets.