|Home||» Products||» Hepatitis Drugs||» Hepsera Adefovir|
- Brand name: Hepsera
- Active Ingeridents(Generic Name) : Adefovir Dipivoxil
- Company Name: Glaxosmithkline
- Package: 30 Tablets
- Strength : 10mg
It is used for treatment of hepatitis B and herpes simplex virus infection. It works by slowing the growth of the virus. It is not a cure for hepatitis B and does not prevent the passing of hepatitis B to others. This medication is a nucleotide analog.
Mechanism of action:
Hepsera (Adefovir) is a prodrug of adefovir. Hepsera (Adefovir) is an acyclic nucleotide analog of adenosine monophosphate which is phosphorylated to the active metabolite Adefovir diphosphate by cellular kinases. Hepsera (Adefovir)diphosphate inhibits HBV DNA polymerase (reverse transcriptase) by competing with the natural substrate deoxyadenosine triphosphate and by causing DNA chain termination after its incorporation into viral DNA. The inhibition constant (Ki) for Hepsera (Adefovir)diphosphate for HBV DNA polymerase was 0.1 μM. Hepsera (Adefovir)diphosphate is a weak inhibitor of human DNA polymerases α and γ with Ki values of 1.18 μM and 0.97μM, respectively.
Dosage and Administration:
Use Hepsera (Adefovir)as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with adefovir. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Hepsera (Adefovir)by mouth with or without food.
- Take Hepsera (Adefovir)on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to use Hepsera (Adefovir) even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Hepsera (Adefovir), take it as soon as possible if you remember that same day. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take more than 1 dose in a day. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you are not sure what to do if you miss a dose of adefovir, contact your health care provider.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hepsera (Adefovir).
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; gas; headache; indigestion; mild stomach pain; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Before taking Hepsera (Adefovir), tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: HIV infection, kidney problems, liver transplant, being very overweight (obese).
Store Hepsera (Adefovir)at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) in the original container. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not use if the seal over the bottle opening is broken or missing. Keep Hepsera (Adefovir) out of the reach of children and away from pets.