|Home||» Products||» HIV Medicines||» Aptivus Tipranavir|
- Brand Name: Aptivus
- Active Ingeridents(Generic Name) :Tipranavir
- Company Name: Boehringer Ingelheim
- Package: 120 Capsules/ Bottle
- Strength :250mg
It is used in the treatment of HIV-1 infected adult patients with evidence of viral replication, who are highly treatment-experienced or have HIV-1 strains resistant to multiple protease inhibitors.
Mechanism of action:
Aptivus (Tipranavir)(TPV) is a non-peptidic HIV-1 protease inhibitor that inhibits the processing of the viral Gag and Gag-Pol polyproteins in HIV-1 infected cells, thus preventing formation of mature virions. Two mechanisms are suggested in regards to the potency of tipranavir: 1. Tipravanir may bind to the active site of the protease enzyme with fewer hydrogen bonds than peptidic protease inhibitors, which results in increased flexibility, allowing it to fit into the active site of the enzyme in viruses that have become resistance to other protease inhibitors. This also enables Aptivus (Tipranavir)to adjust to amino acid substitutions at the active site. 2. Tipranavir's strong hydrogen bonding interaction with the amide backbone of the protease active site Asp30 may lead to its activity against resistant viruses.
Dosage and Administration:
Use Aptivus (Tipranavir)as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Aptivus (Tipranavir)is taken at the same time with another medicine called ritonavir. If you are taking Aptivus (Tipranavir)with ritonavir capsules or solution, it can be taken with or without meals. If you are taking Aptivus (Tipranavir)with ritonavir tablets, it must be taken with meals.
- Swallow Aptivus (Tipranavir)whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you are also taking didanosine, do not take it within 2 hours of taking tipranavir. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- Taking Aptivus (Tipranavir)at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use tipranavir.
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; headache; mild stomach pain; nausea; tiredness; vomiting.
Before taking Aptivus (Tipranavir), tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to sulfa drugs; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before opening the bottle, store Aptivus (Tipranavir)in the refrigerator between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. After opening the bottle, store Aptivus (Tipranavir)at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Aptivus (Tipranavir)must be used within 60 days after opening the bottle. Keep the bottle tightly closed. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Aptivus (Tipranavir)out of the reach of children and away from pets.